Saturday, March 23, 2013

Another Thing Off My List!

I have a list of things I have to do, a long list. I'm happy to say that I can finally check off mammogram exam. I got my first mammogram a few weeks ago. I know, I'm five years late, but I tend to make doctors appointments and when the time comes I either reschedule or cancel because I let anxiety get to me. I went to my appointment after seeing my therapist, so I was wearing powder and deodorant. I was told that they give you something to remove it at the office. I thought good, I don't have to worry about being stinky when I get there.

It turns out it was at the same place I needed to go for another appointment two days later for an ultrasound (no, I'm not pregnant). I asked if it was possible to do both on the same day. After checking with the nurse, she said yes. Off I went to drink four cups of water. To then wait until my bladder feels full so they can do the ultrasound. Half hour later I'm starting to get the urge to use the bathroom. An hour and half later still nothing. Eventually, I had to use the bathroom because I could no longer hold it (I suffer from incontinence). Drank for more cups of water, by this time I'm starting to feel sick from drinking so much water. Kept waiting and waiting. Nothing.

Then, I get called for the mammogram. The technician doesn't asks if I'm wearing powder or anything. She sees the powder and gets annoyed. Tells me, you don't wear powder or deodorant for mammograms. She shook her head and twisted her mouth. She thought I didn't see it. Then gives me two wipes and leaves the room. I felt like a child being scolded, but I thought about what they said when I called to ask about wearing deodorant. Oh, well. Too bad if she was annoyed.

I'm overweight, so there was a lot of pulling and pushing to get me in the proper position. I didn't know whether to help her lift my boobs or let her do her it. She hardly spoke to me at all. No explanation about the test even though she had asked me if it was my first time. After it was done, she left the room. I had to ask her how long I had to wait for the results. Lets just say she lacked bedside manners if you know what I mean. Or maybe it was because it was late and she was tired of seeing tons of boobs all day! Who knows.

The whole thing was uncomfortable and a bit painful. Her attitude made the experience worse. I was glad when it was over, but it had to be done. A week later, I went to see my doctor. She told me my boobies are healthy. Thank God!

Back to the ultrasound, by the time I was finished with the mammogram I had to use the bathroom again. It was a little after 7 pm. There were still people waiting. I was tired, my son was tired of waiting and I honestly couldn't drink another four cups of water. We went home. This was my second time trying to do this test. They make people wait too long. Then on top of that they wrote on my records that my test was fine. The doctor thought I had done the test, she said good thing you told me because it says here that they didn't find anything wrong. Sounds like they need to hire new people on that department!

image credit:

Pin It Now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...