Friday, March 2, 2012

Safety in Numbers.

The Author of this post is Velma Baird


My mother and grandmother always reminded me that there is, “Safety in numbers.” I remember this especially when I was going out as a teenager to the movies or to the mall. As a mom of two young girls, I find myself teaching my daughters this very same thing. Since my girls are young, they are never far my side, but if they venture out in the yard to play, I always make sure that they stay together. We have tried to teach them the dangers of straying especially when alone. This is really a fine balance to teach kids to be safe and cautious and aware without making them worry. I have tough time with this idea with my eight year old as she is not as naïve to dangers as my five year old seems to be. My husband and I have always taken the approach that you teach lessons as life presents them, as they become applicable or appropriate. A few months back, there was word going around our area that a car was seen in local neighborhoods trying to lure children. Because it seemed like a legitimate concern, we took this time to discuss such dangers with our girls and teach them how to avoid situations like this one and how to protect themselves. We also signed up for ADT Security Champaign which helped to give us all the added feeling of safety and comfort.





Pin It Now!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...