Sunday, August 26, 2012

Empanadillas De Pizza.

I don't like to be in the kitchen cooking for hours, especially if it's hot. If I had a bigger AC then I wouldn't mind as much. For these days I try to cook something simple. This is when empanadillas/turnovers come in handy. You can use almost anything as a filling. If I'm making them as a snack I tend to fill them with something sweet, like american/cheddar cheese and guava/mango paste or just guava/mango paste. Yesterday I made them of pizza. I don't make them often, but I was in the mood for pizza flavor. Pizza can be expensive, this way I get to have the pizza flavor without having to spend a fortune and this lasts for two to three days or more if you freeze them.

Recipe:
1 pack of discs Rico brand (10 discs) - On sale for 99¢
I used Tropical mozzarella cheese. We use mozzarella cheese a lot, so I bought a 32 oz bag for $7.99
1 jar of Pizza sauce from Ragu - $2.89
1 pack of ready to eat pepperoni from Hormel - It brings 2 pouches, a total of 50 pieces - $2.49
A bit of flour to add to the roller.
Wooden roller to make the disc thin.

With the roller thin out the disc to the size of your liking. Add a tablespoon of sauce to the center of the disc, a handfull of mozzarella cheese, 3 - 4 pieces of pepperoni and fold in half. Press the edges together using a fork to crimp the edges. Use the same paper that came with the pre made discs to put in between the empanadillas to prevent them from sticking together. Fry them in hot canola oil until they are golden. Put on a paper towel to drain excess oil. You can also bake them if you don't like eating fried food.

I had to Google the time for baking because I have never baked my empanadillas. Maybe next time, since it's healthier that way. I checked two sites for the baking time. Click on either link to get more information. Anyway, preheat oven at 350 - 375 degrees F, brush empanadillas with oil and bake for 20 minutes until golden and crispy.

There you have it. Pizza empanadillas, a quick dinner.Photobucket




image credit: Holistic Health


Pin It Now!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...